Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sloppy Seconds

 Bush Forfeits Heisman
The Story (ESPN):  Running back Reggie Bush has decided to hand over the Heisman.  Under pressure since his award winning 2005 campaign at USC was vacated, Bush said in a statement on Tuesday that he will forfeit the Heisman Trophy.

"One of the greatest honors of my life was winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005," the statement released by the New Orleans Saints reads. "For me, it was a dream come true. But I know that the Heisman is not mine alone. Far from it. I know that my victory was made possible by the discipline and hard work of my teammates, the steady guidance of my coaches, the inspiration of the fans, and the unconditional love of my family and friends."

The Analysis:  Some gifts do last forever (this is a great article).  I honestly think he did right because the Heisman Trust was going to take it anyway.  Bush and his family did something that has plagued college athletics for some time now.  He took money which he would have easily paid back if allowed and none of this would be an issue.  He did not use performing enhancing drugs or abuse recreation drugs (The U, 30 for 30), he didn't rob anyone (Maurice Clarett), he didn't stalk anyone (UF Wideout), he didn't sell his game worn jersey (UGA WR).  He did not physically cheat the game of college football. 

And get this, Vince Young had the nerve to say he would gladly accept the Heisman since Bush gave it back.  Seriously!  That's almost like dating your best friend's ex-girlfriend.  He got out voted by Bush by over 600 votes.  It wasn't even close.  C'mon Vince Young, be a man!  Why take something you didn't earn!

2 comments:

  1. I feel most of what you said but the Heisman process is flawed because Vince Young should have gotten it in the first place. How can a championship game not be a factor in an award that honors the best player in NCAA football. (sidebar) in the league if you dont win a ship, apperantly you wasted your career. I think Vince's performace at the 2005 championship game def. proved his superiority as a player on top of the fact he didnt get caught breaking the rules. Reggie should have gotten it in 04 when they gave it to Leinhart's garbage ass. But after all I think total bullshit that he has to give it up because of somthing that has nothing to do with his ability and/or preformace and isn't 2010 already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the last statement, I'll have to disagree with one thing. What Reggie Bush did in 05 ... he definitely deserved it and regardless of VY winning, he still didn't deserve it. Bush was phenomenal that year. However, they shouldn't take his Heisman although that's exactly what they were going to do before he gave it up. Money has nothing to do with what he did ... NCAA is corrupt and their Slave mentality is more and more obvious. Got these big BLACK athletes playing ball and they're making BILLIONS and literally BILLIONS of dollars off of them. As soon as a SLAVE, I mean athlete decides to get a small piece of what MASSA I mean the NCAA won't pay him, then they LYNCH, I mean suspend him. It's sad when you look at the BIG picture ... it's not checkers, it's chess. "This shit here bigger than Neno Brown."

    And VY is whack for saying that. How the hell u gonna accept something that you didn't earn. He lost points to me.

    ReplyDelete