Friday, July 31, 2009

“Pledge your Allegiance”

When it comes to sports, there is nothing that I can’t stand more than folks who ride the bandwagon. You know, those fans that will always go with the team that’s hot. The team with the most wins. In some cases, the team with the colors that matches their car or the walls in their bedroom growing up. I’m sorry; it just doesn’t work like that.

I’m not saying that you have to be a season ticket holder or for heavens sake be born or even live in that city, state, or country. You don’t even have to be an ALUMNUS to be a die hard fan of a sports team. What you do have to be is dedicated. Committed. Willing to do a dance, chest bump, hand clasp, pound…whatever it takes, during the good, the bad, and the ugly. The bottom line, you feel like you are a part of the team and through your support, you should be considered as such.

Here is where some people, including myself, struggle. Born and raised on the bayou (See blog titled Uptown), I grew up a huge New Orleans Saints, LSU, and Houston Astros fan. That will never change. But I’ve also lived in North Carolina for some time. It’s entrenched into your heads that once you enter UNC-Chapel Hill you bleed Carolina Blue. And I do, add the Heels to the list of my other teams.

But what is a man or woman to do when this happens…( click on blog title to read full article)

“ESPN officials contacted Hyman several months ago to see if he would be amenable to letting North Carolina out of the second game of its home-and-home deal with South Carolina so the Tar Heels and Louisiana State could meet in the Georgia Dome the opening weekend of the 2010 season."


Vs.



This is not a discussion of basketball. I moved to North Carolina to play basketball for UNC. I know give me a break, I was just a kid. And we all know what happen to LSU the last time we played them in the NCAA tournament.

But this is football. College football at that where the SEC has been making a mockery of the ACC for years. LSU football is like a UNC basketball in the state of Louisiana. You either hate them or you love them. And while the bayou is home, I bleed Carolina blue.

The question of who do I cheer for? I don’t know or care right now, the 2009 season hasn't even started. What I do know is I would love to be there if and when it did happen!


Wouldn't you?

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog.

    I hate to admit it, but the toughest game in this past NCAA b-ball tournament was the LSU game. OU and MSU were for the most part, were blow outs.

    I think last years football team, with the inclusion of Tate pre-ACL injury, would be good enough to beat LSU. But with Tate and H. Nicks not on the wing, that offense is looking......aight.

    ~ Wedding Drinker

    ReplyDelete