Monday, September 28, 2009

"Crossing the Finish Line" Part II

"The longer you stay, the more you are going to pay"

The reality of this idea is that many students fail to realize this until after they’ve graduated or decide to discontinue enrollment. Part II of this blog focuses on gaining a basic understanding of the Financial Aid process can not only decrease the amount of debt from college graduates, but also help students select a school that’s affordable and both academically and socially pleasing.

It’s the little things that matter most. For example, if I could it all over again, I would have went to a community college to take summer courses or a four year school closer to home. Summer school for three years (when I didn’t need to go, but did so because I didn’t want to go home) was not the best decision financially, but ok in other areas of my college experience. Thus I spent summers at my university and because of that, I came away with college debt.

Affordability has become increasingly important to all households in the current economic climate. However there are still some households, especially low income or minority households where completing a Financial Aid application is a complicated process. Thus simple mistakes like taking out private loans before exhausting federal ones is a common occurrence. To take it a step further, some students for whatever reason do not even apply for federal aid or borrow less than they were eligible for.
For more financial aid counseling and tips, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment