Friday, September 25, 2009

"Pearl of Wisdom"



Tenn. coach apologizes for KKK joke at fundraiser

Here we go again! Another person caught on camera talking crazy. Bruce Pearl, head coach of the University of Tennessee-Knoxville men's basketball program was taped at a gathering making a remark although joking that linked the rural home of one his players to the Ku Klux Klan. The Volunteers’ fifth-season coach was caught on camera Thursday by WBIR-TV during a charity fundraising event describing the challenge of shaping a team of players from different backgrounds.

“I’ve got a tough job,” the Boston native said. “I’ve got to put these guys from different worlds together, right? I’ve got guys from Chicago, Detroit. I’m talking about the ‘hood! And I’ve got guys from Grainger County, where they wear the hood!” The audience laughed loudly, but after WBIR-TV aired the remarks the coach issued an apology. I've had a chance to meet Coach Pearl (nice guy) and I'm sure he didn't mean any harm by this. He was merely stating the facts.

However, I think the larger issue within high school and NCAA coaches in all sports, but especially basketball, football, soccer, baseball, is where do you draw the line as it relates to how you verbally communicate to your players, who are also human. Many of you have played sports both in high school and on a collegiate level...I'm sure you've heard worst things!

1 comment:

  1. Is Coach Pearl white anyway? He looked like he mixed with something ... and well he wasn't lying. There are some spots where they still wearing "the hood"

    ReplyDelete