Friday, September 11, 2009

"Simply the Greatest"


He will never call himself the greatest. But I will. Michael Jordan is the best period in any sport to put on any kind of uniform. He's simply the greatest.

One, he transcended the game of basketball in every aspect. Athletically, there will never be another complete player. Sure, Lebron may reach the financial prowess of Jordan one day, but he still has a long way to go basketball wise. Athletically (dunking, defense, blocking shots, better passer) Lebron is there. However, he does not have a consistent or even fluent jump shot. More importantly, he has not WON the big game or CHAMPIONSHIP(S). Kobe has come close, but he hasn't won enough and more importantly, he has not created his own identity. Everything he does is in the same walk,talk, and mold of Jordan (shout out to Wes).

Two, his passion, hunger, and work ethic for the game was unmatched. The perfect example of this is when his former assistant coach Tex Winter told him "...there is no I in team." Michael replied "but there is an I in win," referring to a game that he scored 20 points in a row.

Finally, he changed, elevated, sustained, supported and practically financed an entire league. His trends will forever be a staple in the sports world. I've only owned one pair of Jordan's tennis shoes ever in my life. It will probably be my last and while I disagree with the cost of the shoes, you can't deny the fact that he set the world on fire back in the late 80's with those shoes and he continues to do so.

If anyone know my story, he's part of the reason (I know I'm corny) why I ended up in North Carolina. Basketball icon and legend. Fellow Carolina Alum.

Thanks for the memories...

You can youtube all the highlight videos (the dunks, the jump shots) all you want. All I need is one video. (Me Singing)"Sometimes I dream, that he is me..."

5 comments:

  1. MJ wasn't the only one inducted that day ... big ups to the other Legends to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be foolish, he was the best. I'm sure you would have rather seen Lebron James or Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan (although he was there)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw ... I was content with The Admiral aka David the Great being there and getting his shine!!! GO SPURS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shout out to MJ, the G.O.A.T.! There is no one playing basketball today that should be mentioned in the same sentence. Not Lebron, not Kobe; they both have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go before they are even close to being on MJ's level! For anyone who disagrees with me, it really doesn't matter because The Roc doesn't give a crap about any of you Jabronis anyway (Shout out to the Rock)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree ... Lebron nor Kobe are NEAR Jordan. They don't even on the same planent. And for your Kobe riders ... Kobe only has 1 ring that goes towards his Legendary/Be like Mike profile. The other 3 were thanks to Shaq. Shaq could have won those 3 ships with a T Mac, or a Vince, or even a healthy Grant Hill during that time. So Kobe ... "tell me how my ass taste!" MJ ... G.O.A.T

    ReplyDelete