Friday, August 7, 2009

“Who’s Real?”

Before I get started with this one, as always I have to give shout outs. Some of my blog topics have come from conversations I’ve had with family, friends, co-workers, and even strangers. This one is no different. As I was hyping up Jadakiss’ latest CD, which is a classic to me and explaining to some folks how I was unimpressed with a few of Eminem’s latest tracks, someone recommended that I hear the Ruff Ryder Remix to Jadakiss “Who’s Real” song featuring OJ the Juiceman. So big ups to JF, JS, and DL (don’t read too much into the initials, you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out who these people are).

I’m going to date myself here a little. When I was high school, I was just becoming a fan of east coast music. Jay-Z was cool, Biggie was dope, and I couldn’t understand anything the Wu-Tang Clan was saying outside of “cream get the money,” so they were just…ok. I was from the bottom (see blog titled Uptown). It was Cash Money all day, more so Juvenile, BG, and Mannie Fresh…Lil Wayne was aright at the time. I was a huge not only because of their music, but because they was a click. A family. They were “real” to one another because they all came from nothing and at the time, I could definitely relate.

And then, just like the Bad Boy, Roc-a-Wear, and Wu-Tang families, Cash Money split. Interesting enough, some if not all of these groups split when their respective labels were at the top of the music game. Probably because these label execs was not being honest with themselves and their artists. They were not being real, sort to speak. (Uncle Diddy has been robbing people for years).

But the Rough Ryders are still in the picture as it relates to being a real “click” while an older Lil Wayne fights to put Young Money on the map. The double R has had their differences, but they did something with this “Who’s Real” remix that I haven’t seen in a while with RAP “clicks” and that’s collectively as a group, remix a hot song.

Any thoughts to the best rap click of all time?


3 comments:

  1. Man I was just talking to someone about that the other day. Rap Groups or Cliques don't exist anymore ya know? Grown up you had like you said:

    Wu Tang
    Bad Boy Fam: Jr. Mafia & them
    The Lox
    A Tribe Called Quest
    The Dungeon Family (Thorough from A to Z)
    Outkast (we luckliy have them today)
    Manny, BG, and Juvi
    No Limit (P & them)
    De La Soul(still goin today)
    Public Enemy
    Naughty By Nature
    3-6 Mafia (still goin today)
    Salt & Pepper
    Kid & Play
    And the list goes on ...

    You ain't got none of that now. Everyone is solo and clique up with record labels or whatever. We need some of those kind of groups to come back today. I'd love to see it again ... it was good to Hip-Hop and added a different element to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the existence of the "rap clique" died because of MONEY; more so because of GREED and NO LOYALTY. During the "glory days" of hip hop, everyone was treated equally amongst the group. As solo careers became successful, the group idea became distant. Why do a group album when you make more money doing a solo album? Also, when you become popular as a solo artist, you want a bigger cut than the less popular people in the group when the group comes together to do another album.

    Question: If you began your career in a group with your best friend, and your best friend was not as successful as you as a solo artist and your group came back together to make a group album, would you want a bigger cut than your best friend, or would you share the cut equally because you know you have the star power to make enough money on your own and your friend "needed" the money?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd split it 50/50 but that would rarely happy today ... you're right Greed and Lack of Loyalty is the reason why there are no more Arrested Development or A Tribe Called Quest or Wu Tang or The Lox or power groups like that. The closest we'll ever get again will be Outkast and Red & Meth (and those are duos).

    Heard that Outkast is working on another album ... I can't wait. Andre 3000 ... best rapper alive!!!

    ReplyDelete